The small Jewish fane in the center of the Judería Quarter is as small as it is significant. It is one out of only three synagogues still existing throughout Spain and the only one in all Andalusia. This fact makes the Cordoba synagogue an absolute rarity and therefore a treasure.
The synagogue is small and square, but it is very tall, probably to collect daylight from above the rooftops. It was obviously designed to accommodate some 30 people at a time. From there, visitor groups often stand in line all the way down the street and wait for turning in.
The inside is chastely and beautiful. Walls are covered with rich white Mudéjar style decoration and Hebrew inscriptions. The entrance gate is worth seeing.
The synagogue, in ancient times one of dozens of synagogues, was built in 1315. Later, under Christian dominance, it became a hospital for people down with rabies. Since 1588, the building was owned by the shoemaker guild which devoted the building to their patrons. Even today, a Christian cross on the west side of the building tells from the Christian use of the house. Probably, this conversion saved the synagogue from being demolished.
In 1885, the Cordoba Synagogue was officially declared a historic monument; in 2018 it underwent a major restoration.